List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] ldap address book
From:       Benjamin Adler <benadler () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-02-15 18:04:15

Hi!

I'm not subscribed, so please CC me!

After finding out I need openldap installed in order for the ldap-io-slave to
be compiled, I managed to get ldap working in kab.

If I understand correctly, you have to open up the ldap-search dialog and
search for a person. Then you can add that person to your personal
address-book or send him a mail.

Is it possible to create a 'virtual' addressbook that is always automatically
filled with the contacts from an ldap-server? Because I hate it when I have
to search for each contact before I can view it, rather than having a
complete listing. That might not be a good idea for people/companies with
thousands of contacts, but I only have a couple hundred.

I'd like to have that public address-book, where all shared contacts are
stored on the ldap-server, as well as a private address-book, stored in some
file or directory on my harddisk. Both address-books should behave the same
way, though. Whenever I search a contact or a recipient for a mail, I'd like
both address-books to be searched.

Does kab handle multiple address-books at all? I couldn't find any info on
that.

Right now, it seems I cannot edit the contacts on an LDAP-server. Will this
change or is kab supposed to be a read-only client?

thanks a lot!
   ben adler