List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Filling the Formatted Name when editing the entry
From:       Mike Pilone <mpilone () slac ! com>
Date:       2002-05-20 14:36:09

On Monday 20 May 2002 08:33 am, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> The formatted name field should be automatically filled based on the
> other name fields and on a global KAddressbook setting how it should be
> constructed (e.g. "firstname lastname" or "lastname, firstname") unless
> it is explicitly set to something different. I don't think it should
> ever be empty, but should try to give the best short representation of
> who the addressee is.

I definately agree.

> For sorting it might be better to introduce a separate option how to
> sort the entries, i.e. what fields to use as sort keys.

Sorting is done on a per view level. The table view for example can be
sorted by any column, asending or desending. Other views should work the
same way. I have a comment in KAddressBookCardView that we may want the
first selected field as the caption for the card so it can be used for
sorting. I don't think we want a global sorting option, since it may not
confirm to the normal usage of the widget.

> The search should always use all fileds so that it doesn't make a
> difference, if you type in the first or last name or the email address.
> Ok, maybe, there are cases where it makes sense to exclude some fields
> from the search, maybe even user-configurable.

Searching (incremental at least) uses the combo box on the right side of the
widget to determine the search field. This combo box is populated based on
the visible fields. It may make sense to just have all fields available,
but I am not sure.

-mike

--
Mike Pilone <mpilone@slac.com>        http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/
GPG Fingerprint = 856C 8B36 ECF7 9156 4611  7C6B C265 05C4 162F C3B5

See http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/mpilone_pub_key.gpg for full key.
See http://www.gnupg.org for GPG information.