List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Filling the Formatted Name when editing the entry
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-20 12:33:59

On Sunday 19 May 2002 04:05, Mirko Boehm wrote:

> I have seen that the in-place-editing code fills the formatted name
> field when you enter data.
>
> If you do not mind, I would like to remove that code and leave the
> formatted name empty if possible.

The formatted name field should be automatically filled based on the
other name fields and on a global KAddressbook setting how it should be
constructed (e.g. "firstname lastname" or "lastname, firstname") unless
it is explicitly set to something different. I don't think it should
ever be empty, but should try to give the best short representation of
who the addressee is.

For sorting it might be better to introduce a separate option how to
sort the entries, i.e. what fields to use as sort keys.

The search should always use all fileds so that it doesn't make a
difference, if you type in the first or last name or the email address.
Ok, maybe, there are cases where it makes sense to exclude some fields
from the search, maybe even user-configurable.