List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] was: KSharedFile
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-11 17:02:37

On Tuesday 11 December 2001 00:35, Ingo Assenmacher wrote:

> I have been thinking about an intermediate solution for the shared
> access to the resource file.
> I attach a pdf with a sketch of the principle I am thinking of.
> For one thing: it would be enough, if any client trying to access the
> data-file does not do this directly but contacts a broker for this
> using DCOP. The source of the data could be handled by the broker
> almost transparently to KOrganizer.

You are proposing a calendar server, accessed via DCOP calls, right?

I don't think that this is the right solution. If we ever implement a
calendar server, we should make it a general thing using the existing
standard protocols. I don't see a need for inventing yet another
protocol based on DCOP. DCOP is nice for some simple interprocess
communication, but it's not the right solution for accessing data on a
server.

> I have read only minor things about DCOP and I am for sure no
> KDE-expert. What do you think? Concurrent access would not be a
> problem, as the broker could block/synch concurrent access.

The main problem about concurrent access is not the blocking, but to
make the clients capable of handling such situations as conflicts
caused by external changes of the data.

> AFAIK: DCOP is only a local protocol and does not support
> across-host-communication, does it? So, in order to synch to other
> hosts concurrently, my idea of using a full-blown db might be
> appropriate for power users ;)

Yes, as said before, a database backend for calendar data based on the
Qt database classes would be great. But this would also mean quite some
additions in the GUI parts of KOrganizer, so it will not be done on a
weekend ;-)