List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] was: KSharedFile
From:       Nick Papadonis <nick () coelacanth ! com>
Date:       2001-12-11 17:32:16

Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher@kde.org> writes:
> On Tuesday 11 December 2001 00:35, Ingo Assenmacher wrote:
> > For one thing: it would be enough, if any client trying to access the
> > data-file does not do this directly but contacts a broker for this
> > using DCOP. The source of the data could be handled by the broker
> > almost transparently to KOrganizer.
>
> You are proposing a calendar server, accessed via DCOP calls, right?
>
> I don't think that this is the right solution. If we ever implement a
> calendar server, we should make it a general thing using the existing
> standard protocols. I don't see a need for inventing yet another

Do we really need a server at all?

I see the following data flow:

DATA PROXY      <-->    KSYNC
KSYNC           <-->    PALM PLUGIN
PALM PLUGIN     <-->    PALM PILOT

DATA PROXY      <-->    KORGANIZER
DATA PROXY      <-->    KNOTES
DATA PROXY      <---    KMAIL APPOINTMENTS
DATA PROXY      --->    KALARM
DATA PROXY      <-->    ??????

Ksych would execute, loading in the palm plugin.  Ksync would access
PIM data using the data proxy and palm plugin.  Data is resolved and
appropriate data proxy methods are used to place the correct data
back in the PIM database.

What implentation do you think needs a server?  The only server in
this sense is the database backend?  The database libraries already
know how to connect with this.

> Yes, as said before, a database backend for calendar data based on the
> Qt database classes would be great. But this would also mean quite some
> additions in the GUI parts of KOrganizer, so it will not be done on a
> weekend ;-)
I think the extra time invested will save development/debug time later.  It
will be much easier to share PIM data between KDE applications using the data proxy.

--
Nick