List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Proposal: KSharedFile
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-11 17:03:19

On Tuesday 11 December 2001 08:21, Nick Papadonis wrote:

> I have to agree with Ingo.  IMHO using some sort of database is the
> easiest and best solution for long term.  Database engines and
> libraries are freely available and already have most bugs ironed out.
>  I also believe engineering hours are saved using a well known
> database opposed to developing new code to deal with a flat file for
> storage.

Don't forget that the flat file storage is already implemented.
KSharedFile is just a simple additional class to add some support for
concurrent access as it is required for our syncing stuff. We are
talking about something like 100 lines of code, most of them already
existing somewhere else.

To introduce a database would add much more complexity, more code and
would require a lot more work.

> Just lock the database when a device is syncronizing, release the
> lock afterwards.

How can I lock a database? It doesn't seem to be possible with the SQL
classes of Qt.