List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KPilot and addressbook
From:       David Bishop <david () bishop ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2001-10-18 21:56:27

On Wednesday 17 October 2001 01:36 am, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2001 01:50 am, David Bishop wrote:
> > The problem with docs, is that they are documentation and nobody rtfm's
> > :-)
>
> So I noticed. Of course, the docs are also several months out of date, but
> I'd like to get the app. stable again before documenting it for users again
> (KPilot used to get kudos from the docs team on how much work we put into
> them).

Those times will come again, oh yes, they will.....

> > move to without 1) causing mass confusion and 2) making it much more
> > obvious the full power of kpilot. Screenshot at
> > http://bishop.dhs.org/~david/kpilot.png
>
> Without even looking, it crossed my mind that the konqueror configuration
> dialog (a kdialogbase in "swallow" mode) with icons down the left and pages
> -- perhaps even tabbed widgets -- that show up when you click on the icons
> might be the best way to go about it. Then we could even swallow all the
> conduit configs in there as well, although that might lead to an
> unconcionable amount of icons. Maybe the kcm approach?

<snubbed voice on> You didn't even *look*? :-)  Of course, I agree, I mean,
you're always right B-)  See attached file for YAMOHITISB (Yet Another Mockup
Of How I Think It Should Be).

> > Oh, and yes, I do like tabbed widgets :-)  My only concerns with this
> > approach is 1) it really looks like a configuration dialog (not
> > suprising, since that's all I've ever made and 2) running out of space
> > when we add more internal viewers.  Solutions that address those two
> > concerns are muchly apreciated.....
>
> I don't think many more internal viewers are needed or even possible.
> Consider what comes with a basic Pilot: todo, datebook (handled far better
> by KOrganizer than we could ever hope to) and address and memo. Oh, and
> expenses. But on the whole, that's what we can be sure of. Anything else
> could fall under the generic viewer (which i see as something resembling
> the hex-editor in PC tools).

Well the advantage of this kind of setup is that as soon as one section
becomes too crowded, you just "reorg" and move some tabs into a different
sub-catagory.  For instance, I would probably put the "File Installer" tab
under conduits right now, but if that gets all hairy and stuff, we could
create a new section called, um, File Something, that would have the
installer, the pdb editor, and the yet-to-be-created-program that zips up all
the .pdbs and makes a tarball for easy transfering/off-site backups.  While
my example is crappy, you see my point :-)

Also, I realize that in Real Life the tabbed widgets/configuration dialogs
would have to be seperate from the Main Widget, in order for it to work.
That said, consider this an example where you can't select anything but
"Viewers".  Also, you were mentioning "swallowing" the conduit config
dialogs.  Sounds nifty, but wouldn't that require running each and every
conduit config program in order to have the dialogs, everytime you start up
kpilot?  I don't know if that's  a factor or not, just a thought.

Whew, long day already.  I gotta go.  See ya'll in the morning!

- --
D.A.Bishop

["kpilotMainWindow2.ui" (text/html)]

<!DOCTYPE UI><UI>
<class>MyDialog2</class>
<widget>
    <class>QDialog</class>
    <property stdset="1">
        <name>name</name>
        <cstring>MyDialog2</cstring>
    </property>
    <property stdset="1">
        <name>geometry</name>
        <rect>
            <x>0</x>
            <y>0</y>
            <width>735</width>
            <height>466</height>
        </rect>
    </property>
    <property stdset="1">
        <name>caption</name>
        <string>MyDialog2</string>
    </property>
    <property stdset="1">
        <name>sizeGripEnabled</name>
        <bool>true</bool>
    </property>
    <widget>
        <class>QPushButton</class>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>name</name>
            <cstring>buttonHelp</cstring>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>geometry</name>
            <rect>
                <x>12</x>
                <y>422</y>
                <width>80</width>
                <height>32</height>
            </rect>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>text</name>
            <string>&amp;Help</string>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>autoDefault</name>
            <bool>true</bool>
        </property>
    </widget>
    <widget>
        <class>QPushButton</class>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>name</name>
            <cstring>buttonCancel</cstring>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>geometry</name>
            <rect>
                <x>640</x>
                <y>420</y>
                <width>80</width>
                <height>32</height>
            </rect>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>text</name>
            <string>&amp;Quit</string>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>autoDefault</name>
            <bool>true</bool>
        </property>
    </widget>
    <widget>
        <class>QLabel</class>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>name</name>
            <cstring>TextLabel6</cstring>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>geometry</name>
            <rect>
                <x>100</x>
                <y>420</y>
                <width>340</width>
                <height>31</height>
            </rect>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>text</name>
            <string>HotSyncing. Please press the HotSync button.</string>
        </property>
    </widget>
    <widget>
        <class>QProgressBar</class>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>name</name>
            <cstring>ProgressBar7</cstring>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>geometry</name>
            <rect>
                <x>440</x>
                <y>420</y>
                <width>190</width>
                <height>28</height>
            </rect>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>frameShape</name>
            <enum>Box</enum>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>frameShadow</name>
            <enum>Sunken</enum>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>indicatorFollowsStyle</name>
            <bool>false</bool>
        </property>
    </widget>
    <widget>
        <class>QListBox</class>
        <item>
            <property>
                <name>text</name>
                <string>Main</string>
            </property>
        </item>
        <item>
            <property>
                <name>text</name>
                <string>Viewers</string>
            </property>
        </item>
        <item>
            <property>
                <name>text</name>
                <string>Conduits</string>
            </property>
        </item>
        <item>
            <property>
                <name>text</name>
                <string>About</string>
            </property>
        </item>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>name</name>
            <cstring>listBox</cstring>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>geometry</name>
            <rect>
                <x>11</x>
                <y>11</y>
                <width>96</width>
                <height>404</height>
            </rect>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>sizePolicy</name>
            <sizepolicy>
                <hsizetype>0</hsizetype>
                <vsizetype>7</vsizetype>
            </sizepolicy>
        </property>
    </widget>
    <widget>
        <class>QTabWidget</class>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>name</name>
            <cstring>tabWidget</cstring>
        </property>
        <property stdset="1">
            <name>geometry</name>
            <rect>
                <x>120</x>
                <y>10</y>
                <width>610</width>
                <height>404</height>
            </rect>
        </property>
        <widget>
            <class>QWidget</class>
            <property stdset="1">
                <name>name</name>
                <cstring>Widget37</cstring>
            </property>
            <attribute>
                <name>title</name>
                <string>Address Viewer</string>
            </attribute>
            <widget>
                <class>QLabel</class>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>name</name>
                    <cstring>TextLabel4</cstring>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>geometry</name>
                    <rect>
                        <x>5</x>
                        <y>11</y>
                        <width>80</width>
                        <height>31</height>
                    </rect>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>text</name>
                    <string>Category:</string>
                </property>
            </widget>
            <widget>
                <class>QPushButton</class>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>name</name>
                    <cstring>PushButton61</cstring>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>geometry</name>
                    <rect>
                        <x>10</x>
                        <y>260</y>
                        <width>121</width>
                        <height>41</height>
                    </rect>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>text</name>
                    <string>Edit Record</string>
                </property>
            </widget>
            <widget>
                <class>QPushButton</class>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>name</name>
                    <cstring>PushButton61_2</cstring>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>geometry</name>
                    <rect>
                        <x>140</x>
                        <y>260</y>
                        <width>121</width>
                        <height>41</height>
                    </rect>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>text</name>
                    <string>New Record</string>
                </property>
            </widget>
            <widget>
                <class>QPushButton</class>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>name</name>
                    <cstring>PushButton61_2_2</cstring>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>geometry</name>
                    <rect>
                        <x>10</x>
                        <y>310</y>
                        <width>121</width>
                        <height>41</height>
                    </rect>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>text</name>
                    <string>Delete Record</string>
                </property>
            </widget>
            <widget>
                <class>QListBox</class>
                <item>
                    <property>
                        <name>text</name>
                        <string>Various Address</string>
                    </property>
                </item>
                <item>
                    <property>
                        <name>text</name>
                        <string>Go Here</string>
                    </property>
                </item>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>name</name>
                    <cstring>ListBox12</cstring>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>geometry</name>
                    <rect>
                        <x>10</x>
                        <y>50</y>
                        <width>251</width>
                        <height>201</height>
                    </rect>
                </property>
            </widget>
            <widget>
                <class>QLabel</class>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>name</name>
                    <cstring>TextLabel5</cstring>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>geometry</name>
                    <rect>
                        <x>270</x>
                        <y>10</y>
                        <width>111</width>
                        <height>31</height>
                    </rect>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>text</name>
                    <string>Address Info:</string>
                </property>
            </widget>
            <widget>
                <class>QMultiLineEdit</class>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>name</name>
                    <cstring>MultiLineEdit9</cstring>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>geometry</name>
                    <rect>
                        <x>270</x>
                        <y>50</y>
                        <width>311</width>
                        <height>311</height>
                    </rect>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>readOnly</name>
                    <bool>true</bool>
                </property>
            </widget>
            <widget>
                <class>QComboBox</class>
                <item>
                    <property>
                        <name>text</name>
                        <string>All</string>
                    </property>
                </item>
                <item>
                    <property>
                        <name>text</name>
                        <string>Unfiled</string>
                    </property>
                </item>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>name</name>
                    <cstring>ComboBox17</cstring>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>geometry</name>
                    <rect>
                        <x>100</x>
                        <y>10</y>
                        <width>140</width>
                        <height>31</height>
                    </rect>
                </property>
            </widget>
        </widget>
        <widget>
            <class>QWidget</class>
            <property stdset="1">
                <name>name</name>
                <cstring>Widget38</cstring>
            </property>
            <attribute>
                <name>title</name>
                <string>Memo Viewer</string>
            </attribute>
            <widget>
                <class>QLabel</class>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>name</name>
                    <cstring>TextLabel1_3</cstring>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>geometry</name>
                    <rect>
                        <x>10</x>
                        <y>10</y>
                        <width>60</width>
                        <height>31</height>
                    </rect>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>text</name>
                    <string>Memos:</string>
                </property>
            </widget>
            <widget>
                <class>QPushButton</class>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>name</name>
                    <cstring>PushButton22_2_2_3</cstring>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>geometry</name>
                    <rect>
                        <x>10</x>
                        <y>260</y>
                        <width>120</width>
                        <height>41</height>
                    </rect>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>text</name>
                    <string>Delete Memo</string>
                </property>
            </widget>
            <widget>
                <class>QPushButton</class>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>name</name>
                    <cstring>PushButton22_3</cstring>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>geometry</name>
                    <rect>
                        <x>10</x>
                        <y>310</y>
                        <width>120</width>
                        <height>41</height>
                    </rect>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>text</name>
                    <string>Import Memo</string>
                </property>
            </widget>
            <widget>
                <class>QMultiLineEdit</class>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>name</name>
                    <cstring>MultiLineEdit1_3</cstring>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>geometry</name>
                    <rect>
                        <x>270</x>
                        <y>50</y>
                        <width>330</width>
                        <height>310</height>
                    </rect>
                </property>
                <property stdset="1">
                    <name>text</name>
                    <string>Because we lack imagination, that's why.</string>
                </property>
            </widget>
            <widget>
                <class>QListBox</class>