List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: audiocd:/
From:       rik () kde ! org
Date:       2001-02-02 21:06:41

#if Michael Matz

> > 2) When the ripping works, the speed seems OK, but sometimes it becomes
> > really slow and halts after a while (with a "Waiting..." message). I could
> > not reproduce the bug, it can happen with a CD, then not... Maybe it is
> > Konqueror's fault.
>
> It could also be libcdparanoia, which is used for ripping. You can change
> the type of ripping cdparanoia uses by an argument to the URL.

It is cdparanoia. The 'paranoiaCallback' function at the end of the
source file (audiocd.cpp) needs implementing somehow, I'm just not sure
how.

> > - I think that for the end-user displaying the cda files is a bit confusing
> > (what are they ?).
>
> .cda stands for CD-Audio. Currently the files themself should be the
> normal wav files, just with a different extension. The reason they are
> there was, that some kde-multimedia authors based their action, what to do
> with a URL on the file-extension. .wav files simply were played. Now, if
> such a audiocd: URL would be given to such a player it would start ripping
> the CD just to play a track. They wanted to have the possibility to play
> the track instead of the .wav file, so another extension was needed. I
> show the in the directory listings, so a user can drag&drop the .cda
> "file" to a player, and play this track. (If he dragged the .wav file
> ripping would start).

If files with '.cda' as name suffix were truly MS RIFF WAVs then their
magic should be enough, so perhaps they aren't ?

IMO the files should be called *.wav, and if an app wants to know where
it comes from, it can test the protocol part of the URL it was given.

> > 	. inside it, I would have all the wav files with their CDDB names
> > 	  and three folders : "Informations" (no change there),
> > 	  "Raw tracks" (with the cda files) and "Untitled tracks" (with
> > 	  the wav files named track01.wav... i.e. no space in the names).
>
> Looks good, except, that I also want to leave "/dev". Currently it's not
> really functional as it should (making it possible to change the device
> without the query argument), but if I find some time it will.
> So, it will become:
>  /dev/...
>  /<ToD>/<CDDBname>.wav
>  /<ToD>/Raw Tracks/*.cda
>  /<ToD>/Untitled Tracks/trackXX.wav
>  /trackXX.cda
>
> Other opinions or wishes how it should look like?

audiocd:/

  `----- track01.wav
  `----- track02.wav
  `----- track03.wav
  `----- track04.wav
  `----- Name of artist | Name of album | Title of track 1.wav -> track01.wav
  `----- Name of artist | Name of album | Title of track 2.wav -> track02.wav
  `----- Name of artist | Name of album | Title of track 3.wav -> track03.wav
  `----- Name of artist | Name of album | Title of track 4.wav -> track04.wav

No subdirectories, which give the (incorrect) impression that there are
more files than those visible in audiocd:/. Just symlinks.

It's the KISS method, which I think is appropriate here.

Rik