List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: PATCH: Pass call in artsdsp if no artsd is running
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-02-02 19:12:06

   Hi!

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 02:05:04PM +0100, Stefan Schimanski wrote:
> this patch passes the io calls if the connection can't be initiated to the
> arts daemon. This will make artsdsp a safer choice because it will work with
> and without a running artsd (i.e. Flash plugins in nsplugin will work in both
> cases).

Ok, looks like a good idea. I can think of a few variations of this theme
(like "if artsd isn't running, start it" or "if artsd isn't running, when
a certain option is given, warn and quit"), but for now (and for KDE2.1),
your patch looks good.

But do you indeed need to change every function? Wouldn't sndfd be -1 if
artsd couldn't be contacted? So you would need to change only open?

   Cu... Stefan