List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: audiocd:/
From:       Michael Matz <matzmich () cs ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-02-02 16:41:44

Hi,

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Thibaut Cousin wrote:
>   First thing : I had a hard time starting it. Most of the time Konqueror
> does not understand and goes to Google instead... But after three or four

Hmm. Giving "audiocd:/" in the URL editbox didn't work? I think, the
trailing "/" is needed.

>   After that, I cliqued on a wav file in the "By name" folder". It started to
> rip the CD. Two remarks here :
>
> 1) By default the track is ripped in $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kfmexec/tmp. This

Yep. Normally the use pattern is not to simply click on the .wav file, but
to copy it (by dragging it into another directory) to a destination. I
don't know if the IO-slave has the possibility to change the directory
where it's copied to by konqui.

> gone to. Moreover, if I cancel the ripping before it is finished, the wav
> file is not deleted (it could ask if I want to delete it or not, for
> example).

Probably. Although this is not kio_audiocd's job, but the program's using
the ioslave (konqui in this case).

> 2) When the ripping works, the speed seems OK, but sometimes it becomes
> really slow and halts after a while (with a "Waiting..." message). I could
> not reproduce the bug, it can happen with a CD, then not... Maybe it is
> Konqueror's fault.

It could also be libcdparanoia, which is used for ripping. You can change
the type of ripping cdparanoia uses by an argument to the URL.

> - I think that for the end-user displaying the cda files is a bit confusing
> (what are they ?).

.cda stands for CD-Audio. Currently the files themself should be the
normal wav files, just with a different extension. The reason they are
there was, that some kde-multimedia authors based their action, what to do
with a URL on the file-extension. .wav files simply were played. Now, if
such a audiocd: URL would be given to such a player it would start ripping
the CD just to play a track. They wanted to have the possibility to play
the track instead of the .wav file, so another extension was needed. I
show the in the directory listings, so a user can drag&drop the .cda
"file" to a player, and play this track. (If he dragged the .wav file
ripping would start).

> - Nothing happens when I click on a cda file (Konqueror runs, the
> small wheel on the top-right corner turns, but nothing more happens).

Hmm, konqui should rip that file, unless you have a mime-type based on the
.cda extension saying something different (e.g. to start a player). If
not, that's a bug. I'll try.

> - By default there are five folders : By Name, By Track, dev,
> Information and <Title of the disc>. IMHO it is a bit too much. By

It is much, yes.

> Name and <Title of the disc> contain the same thing. Here is my

Note, that <Title of the disc> isn't shown, when the CDDB query was
unsuccessful. The reason I have them both is: "By Name" is constant for
all CD's whereas <ToD> changes from disc to disc. I had programs in mind
that want a simple way of determining the track titles. They now can look
into i18n("By Name"), but without that they need to list "/" and look for
the title.  I agree that this is only theoretical. So I guess I'll change
that to merge both entries, where <ToD> becomes i18n("No Title") whithout
CDDB, unless there are other suggestions.

> suggestion (I would be happy to discuss it) :
> 	. at the "root" level I would put only a folder <Title of disc>.

This is, what I first wanted to do. But then I again thought of simple
programs just wanting to play a track, without the need to list a
directory. Now they can read "audiocd:/track01.cda", without those files
in "/" the program needs to list "/" which is a completely different
action, which would complicate programs. I have no strong opinion either
way, but want to at least have the .cda files also in "/".

> 	. inside it, I would have all the wav files with their CDDB names
> 	  and three folders : "Informations" (no change there),
> 	  "Raw tracks" (with the cda files) and "Untitled tracks" (with
> 	  the wav files named track01.wav... i.e. no space in the names).

Looks good, except, that I also want to leave "/dev". Currently it's not
really functional as it should (making it possible to change the device
without the query argument), but if I find some time it will.
So, it will become:
 /dev/...
 /<ToD>/<CDDBname>.wav
 /<ToD>/Raw Tracks/*.cda
 /<ToD>/Untitled Tracks/trackXX.wav
 /trackXX.cda

Other opinions or wishes how it should look like?

Ciao,
Michael.