List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    audiocd:/
From:       Thibaut Cousin <cousin () in2p3 ! fr>
Date:       2001-02-02 9:27:06

Hello,

  I'm part of the french KDE team, and just upgraded to KDE 2.1 beta2... I
was eager to try the new audiocd:/ ioslave. I have a recent machine (PIII
450, CD-ROM 40X) with Debian Woody and kernel 2.4.0.
  First thing : I had a hard time starting it. Most of the time Konqueror
does not understand and goes to Google instead... But after three or four
tries it understood. The CDDB search was successful.
  After that, I cliqued on a wav file in the "By name" folder". It started to
rip the CD. Two remarks here :

1) By default the track is ripped in $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kfmexec/tmp. This
causes problems, because most users never go in $HOME/.kde so they will not
delete the wav files afterwards, or they will wonder where the wav file is
gone to. Moreover, if I cancel the ripping before it is finished, the wav
file is not deleted (it could ask if I want to delete it or not, for
example). All of this creates the risk of saturating the /home partition
because of "hidden" non-deleted files (and wav files are BIG).

2) When the ripping works, the speed seems OK, but sometimes it becomes
really slow and halts after a while (with a "Waiting..." message). I could
not reproduce the bug, it can happen with a CD, then not... Maybe it is
Konqueror's fault.

  That's all for the problems. Now time for ideas :

- I think that for the end-user displaying the cda files is a bit confusing
(what are they ?).

- Nothing happens when I click on a cda file (Konqueror runs, the small wheel
on the top-right corner turns, but nothing more happens). I see only two
useful things it could do : launch kscd on that track, or rip the track. I
don't like the first possibility (if the user just wants to listen to the CD
he lauches kscd, period). The second is better.

- By default there are five folders : By Name, By Track, dev, Information and
<Title of the disc>. IMHO it is a bit too much. By Name and <Title of the
disc> contain the same thing. Here is my suggestion (I would be happy to
discuss it) :
	. at the "root" level I would put only a folder <Title of disc>.
	. inside it, I would have all the wav files with their CDDB names
	  and three folders : "Informations" (no change there),
	  "Raw tracks" (with the cda files) and "Untitled tracks" (with
	  the wav files named track01.wav... i.e. no space in the names).

  Do you think it is a good idea ? If you need testing, just ask, I'll be
happy to oblige.
  See you,

--
Thibaut Cousin