List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kdebase/kicker
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       2000-04-29 20:15:18

pbrown@redhat.com wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, CVS by elter wrote:
>

> > Get rid of the QToolButtons.
> > Our own button class now has support for GNOME panel like button tiles.
> > In fact the demo tiles are based on GNOME tiles.
> > The tile currently is hardcoded but will be configurable for every button type \
> > (Launcher, QuickBrowser etc...).

Which brings me to the question -- how to make the "K" button more
obvious to the non-computer user, the Windows user, etc. Windows 95 has
one really smart UI innovation (one of the few) and it's the start
button. Start is suppost to clearly label to the user that this is the
place to start using the computer -- the place were common things are
like the Programs, Control Panels, etc. are found.

For one a tooltip saying "Click Here to Run Programs" or "Lists
Installed Programs You Can Start" or "Start KDE Applications.." or
"Choose Programs to Start..." would be helpful.

Another thing is we really need to make the K Menu stick out on the
desktop -- it's not obvious enough to a new user. Giving it a green tile
might help, but then again that could be annoying or create i10n
problems.

Maybe we could have the (default) option of underlined text links on the
panel? That would be consistant with the desktop, the browser, etc. But
then again, most buttons aren't underlined!

> NO! argh.  Those pesky tiles in the gnome panel are so annoying.
> What ever happened to user interface consistency?!?!  Why should buttons
> on the panel be different from buttons anywhere else?

This is true... I don't care for the "tiles" on the panel (at least not
as default -- although I could see it as an optional feature).