List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdebase/kicker
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-29 19:45:10

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Well, I think it makes sense to display a distinct name there as this
> > is the name people talk about in bug reports. And afaik the GNOME panel
> > is called panel as well.
>
> That's all well and good but it is rather confusing for users.  I mean,
> applications often call themselves different things.  example, kedit also
> calls itself "Text Editor" in the menus, and that's the name in the title
> bar when launched, but the entry under help is 'About kedit' and then
> about dialog says 'KEdit' (not capitalization), 'A KDE Text Editor'.
>
> OK, this is a bit schizophrenic if you ask me.

Yes, we need to have some guide lines here.

I understand the reason for wanting to show "Text Editor" in menus but I
don't think we should hide the actual name of the application. I would like
to suggest to use in menus "Text Editor (KEdit)" and then use "KEdit"
everywhere else (Caption, menu-entries in the application, bug-reports).

"KEdit" is the name of the application, "Text Editor" is more somewhat of a
description.

You can already see this tendency because e.g. biff (kbiff?) is listed in
menus as "Email Notifier (biff)".

Changing will create some work for translators btw, because all translations
will need to be updated as well.

Cheers,
Waldo