List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kdebase/kicker
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2000-04-29 21:49:27

"Andrew B. Arthur" wrote:

> Which brings me to the question -- how to make the "K" button more
> obvious to the non-computer user, the Windows user, etc. Windows 95 has
> one really smart UI innovation (one of the few) and it's the start
> button. Start is suppost to clearly label to the user that this is the
> place to start using the computer -- the place were common things are
> like the Programs, Control Panels, etc. are found.

Innovation? And what do you suppose the Mac's "Apple" menu was, way
back in 1984 before Windows was even a gleam in Bill Gates' eye?

Sorry... I promised myself I wouldn't get mad when people believe
Microsoft's propoganda... its not their fault they get their
information from the mass media...

> For one a tooltip saying "Click Here to Run Programs" or "Lists
> Installed Programs You Can Start" or "Start KDE Applications.." or
> "Choose Programs to Start..." would be helpful.

Maybe not such a bad idea, for the absolute beginner who has never
used a computer before. But anyone with a little experience with
Windows or Mac will probably find it annoying.

> Another thing is we really need to make the K Menu stick out on the
> desktop -- it's not obvious enough to a new user. Giving it a green tile
> might help, but then again that could be annoying or create i10n
> problems.

Suggestions:

1) The icon is made more colourful.

2) The gear behind the K rotates, continuously.

3) Periodically (once a minute? more? less?) the icon has a few
sparkles appear over it, like a magic spell special effect.

The user would have to have the ability to turn off "K animations", to
avoid wasting CPU cycles or driving experienced users insane. But, for
the beginner, a little bit of animation is fun and attention getting.

--
Steven D'Aprano