List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default
From:       Steve Hutton <shutton () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2000-04-27 4:56:51

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Torsten Rahn wrote:

> - inconsistency: Except for KDE all apps have the menubar
> in the application-window. Switching between such apps and
> the KDE-apps makes me REALLY, REALLY feel irritated, pissed
> off and annoyed.

Yes, this was the first problem I thought of.  Having some menu bars
at the top and others (non-KDE apps) on the window is not a good
UI at all - IMHO worse than the "inferior" choice of menus at the top
of windows.  Unfortunately, KDE can't control the menu bars of all apps,
and we should take that fact into account.

Also, the menu bar on top doesn't work at all with focus follows mouse.
Personally, I find focus follows mouse more valuable - I keep many
windows open and it saves a lot of time not to have to click to change
focus.  Remember, when the Mac UI was designed people did not keep
nearly as many windows open as they do in X...

Lastly, remember that most people will use KDE as configured by their
distribution of choice - which is not neccesarily the same as KDE's
default configuration.

Steve