List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] KDE 2.2: HTTPS disabled in SuSE RPMs??
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-08-17 21:57:25

Andreas Parsch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There are quite a lot of reports about the https protocol not working after
> installing SuSE's RPMs for KDE 2.2.
>
> Some say that https was not compiled into the RPMs. Is this true? If so,
> _why_ was https left out?
>
> (I just want to konw before downloading 20+ MB ;-) )

Hi,

Apparently SSL was disabled in SuSE < 7.2 b/c of the way OpenSSL
developers version their library.  In particular, version 0.9.6b is
binary incompatible with 0.9.6a which is binary incompatiable with
0.9.5.  Since Unix (rpm and linker) use the major number (in all cases
0) for determining binary compatability, SuSE had no way to know which
version of openssl is installed (and forcing an upgrade would cause apps
linked to the old version to crash).

Ciao,

Dre