List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Keyboard stops working (FC4, KDE 3.4)
From:       Van Snyder <van.snyder () jpl ! nasa ! gov>
Date:       2005-06-29 19:28:19

On Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 05:40:12 -0400 (EDT) "ne..."
<akabi@speakeasy.net> wrote:

On Jun 28, 2005 at 10:57, Van Snyder in a soothing rage wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:26:55 +1000 "Donovan J. Edye"
> <donovan@edyeweb.com> wrote:
>

> - I have just done a fresh install of Fedora Core 4 on a box
> - I am pretty sure I did not see this problem then
> - I then did a "yum update"
> - Now I can login in as user root or donovan into KDE with no problem
> - However when I log in with another valid user candice I am able to
> enter the username and password at the login prompt, but once the KDE
> desktop comes up the keyboard is non responsive. Ie If I try and type
> text in "Run Command" or "Kate" then nothing happens.

> I had exactly the same problem.  Turning off legacy USB support in the
> BIOS repaired it.
>
> It's nothing short of bizarre that the kernel mavens managed to break
> the keyboard!

// Yours is a totally different problem. The OP needs to fire up
// the control centre and look at Regional & Accessibility ->
// Accessibility -> Keyboard -> Slow Keys. If this is selected,
// unselect it.

Donovan's problem may be different from mine.  On my system, that button
isn't selected.  I wouldn't have expected changing it to cause or solve
the problem, since the keyboard didn't work even in single-user mode
until I turned off legacy USB support in the BIOS.  Like Donovan, the
problem _did_ arrive at the same time as a fresh install of Fedora Core
4.

--
Van Snyder                    |  What fraction of Americans believe
Van.Snyder@jpl.nasa.gov       |  Wrestling is real and NASA is fake?