List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Where are all my fonts?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-02-01 16:46:20

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Bernt Christandl wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> when i check within the Control Center i see only some few fonts
>> to choose of -some bitstream, courier, luxi and 2 or 3 others-
>> but no times roman or helvetica...
>>
>> But my system "knows" 5801 fonts (following xlsfonts).
>> How can i teach KDE where my helvetica or other fonts are?
>

> Many fontconfig default setups *only* display scalable fonts, and omit
> bitmap fonts (See /etc/fonts/fonts.conf).  Personally, I add the
> following to /etc/fonts/local.conf to (re)enable bitmap fonts:
>
> <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi</dir>
> <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi</dir>
> <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc</dir>

Actually, that isn't necessary.  The file: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf"
should contain:

	<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
	<dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
	<dir>~/.fonts</dir>

Unless you have fonts in odd places, this should find all of your fonts.

If you have fonts in odd places, then you should add them to
"/etc/fonts/local.conf".

After you make changes, be sure to run [as root]:

	fc-cache -v

to make sure that it finds all of your font directories.

--
JRT