List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Where are all my fonts? (2)
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-02-01 16:57:45

Bernt Christandl wrote:
> Is KDE-3.3.2 restricted to only truetype-fonts?

No, but ... (tm).

KDE (actually Qt) has serious problems finding Type 1 fonts due to a
serious bug that it does not address regarding how TrueType and Type 1
fonts represent the name of a font.

Example: Helvetica Narrow.

With TrueType, this is the Font Family Name.

With Type 1, the Font Family Name is still: "Helvetica", and the font
has an attribute: "Narrow".

As unbelievable as it may sound, Qt does not properly deal with this
issue and on my system, KDE simply doesn't find the Type 1 font:
"Helvetica Narrow" and many other Type 1 fonts.  I have reported this
bug to the Trolls; they have acknowledged that I am correct, but it
hasn't been fixed.  Perhaps this needs to be addressed with FontConfig
since it appears that it will always be a problem for applications to
have to deal with two different naming systems.

--
JRT