List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] kde doesn't load sony 'special keys' at boot?
From:       Steve Turnbull <sturnbull () dsl ! pipex ! com>
Date:       2005-01-27 21:05:33

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 00:41 +0000, Andrew Kar wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:36 am, Steve Turnbull wrote:
> > Any ideas? Like I said before, booting into Gnome works fine???
>
> Modules and daemons are started and loaded way before the system gets to the
> point where it starts either KDE or Gnome. The kernel is not psychic and does
> not know whether you are going to start KDE or Gnome so it cant go "Nah wont
> start the daemon or load the module today coz he's goner use KDE"

I thought maybe that KDE loads something during it's startup which
blocks what the sonypid stuff is trying to do. This happened with my
sound drivers (ALSA), when KDE started it tried loading a differnt
driver which blocked the sound card altogether. It was resolved by
un-installing a package (can't remember which one)

>  I would look closely at why it supposedly DOES work in Gnome and use that
> knowledge to fix the problem or do the 3 ?'s in "Gnome works fine???" denote
> that you are not really sure if it works?

The three ?'s mean I am confused why it does work in Gnome. I realise it
all gets loaded at boot time, I am not too familiar with what KDE does
when it loads though.

> Alternatively you could just modify your startkde script to run the daemon and
> module whenever you start kde (and create the node if it isn't autocreated)

As I mentioned, I am not too familiar with KDE and how it startup
scripts work. Could you give me some pointers of where to start with
this please.

Thanks very much for your help

Steve