List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] kde doesn't load sony 'special keys' at boot?
From:       andrew kar <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2005-01-28 11:41:50

Steve Turnbull wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 00:41 +0000, Andrew Kar wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:36 am, Steve Turnbull wrote:
>>

>I thought maybe that KDE loads something during it's startup which
>blocks what the sonypid stuff is trying to do. This happened with my
>sound drivers (ALSA), when KDE started it tried loading a differnt
>driver which blocked the sound card altogether. It was resolved by
>un-installing a package (can't remember which one)

No, KDE doesn't load any drivers itself but what tricks a lot of people
with alsa is that it starts muted, so you need to either start a mixer
and turn up the volume and then in the kde controlcentre under sound you
can tell it to save the current volume levels and reset them on start
otherwise it will reset them to zero.

>> <>The three ?'s mean I am confused why it does work in Gnome. I
>> realise it
>> all gets loaded at boot time, I am not too familiar with what KDE does
>> when it loads though.

It only does what is in a script called 'startkde' which is in
$KDEDIR/bin which is usually /usr/bin or /opt/bin and the desktop files
in $KDEDIR/share/autostart.  In an undoctored setup no daemons are
started or modules loaded. There is however a module in kde
control-centre but it is dependent on the sonypi module loading
correctly. I imagine that you may need to be logged in as root to set it.

Perhaps sonypi is not working at all?  Some things like battery status
can be read with acpi if the acpid daemon is running.

It would help if you state what linux distro, what kernel number and run
lsmod in both gnome and kde and see if it shows the module as loaded.
What features do you have in Gnome that lead you to believe it is working?
andrew