List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] TIP! Compiling KDE2.2 Hints and Tips
From:       Jason Boxman <jasonb () edseek ! com>
Date:       2001-09-23 17:40:35

On Sunday 23 September 2001 11:52 am, akar wrote:
> It seems that with every upgrade of KDE a lot of the same questions get
> asked time after time and this is compounded by the fact that very little
> in the way of specific docs is available especially with regard to version
> specific issues.  So lets see if we can rectify that...

<snip>

> 2) SPEEDING UP KDE; OBJPRELINK and OPTIMISING.

<snip>
> Just setting the
> --enable
> --objprelink option will do nothing; You must build the tiny objprelink
> binary and instructions at;
> http://www.research.att.com/~leonb/objprelink/

It's also important to note that you'll need a very recent copy of "binutils"
and "binutils-dev" to compile objprelink.c above.  I know Debian Woody now
has such a binutils.  I don't know about other distros.  But keep that in
mind.

You don't have to use objprelink, but it does make a difference speed-wise.

> ii/   Optimising your compile

<snip>

> where the -O3 is capital-O not zero and i686 is your cpu. It could be
> athlon (only if using gcc >2.96) So the standard gcc2.95 will only allow
> upto i686 which is suitable for any greater than/equal to Pentium II chip.
> If you have a normal pentium you can use i586.  I have doubts about pure
> athlon compiling with 2.96 anyhow as does seem to introduce a lot of
> padding when it and objprelink are used together. By itself the athlon
> compile was very fast though and was faster still with objprelink despite
> the padding and strange relocation conversions.

-O3 is a bit slower than -O2 since it does extra optimizations.  If you've
got a slow box (like me, K6 III 400) you might want to forgo -O3 and use
regular -O2.

<snip>

> 3) WHAT EXTRA PACKAGES DO I NEED?

<snip>
> iii/ cups; I recommend trying this print system. The new kde has extensive
> support for it as well as all print sub-systems now. If you already have
> cups on your system make sure you install the cups-devel rpm as well

I compiled with CUPS support and it's pretty sweet.  If you use CUPS already,
just make sure you have that -dev package and you're golden.

> iv/ openssl; KDE no longer supports openssl 0.9.5 like in release previous
> to kde2.2 So make sure you have openssl 0.9.6 (either a or b version) and
> its devel rpm. Be careful as a lot of current distros have both 0.9.5 and
> 0.9.6 and their devel paks on the CDs, so dont mix n match.

SSL with Konq is pretty sweet too.

<snip>

> MISC:  For a standalone home computer only connected to the internet by
> phone and only in its own small network if at all, a lot of options can br
> turned off as being unnecessary. I turn off libfam, pam, any other
> authorization stuff, I have alsa as well but turn it off.  Do a configure
> --help in each package to see the options.
>
> If you had a configure/make error and had to add a library or make changes
> etc then before running configure again do a make clean and then delete the
> config.cache and status file.

You really only need delete the config.cache.  I think removing the status
file is just superfluous.

Thanks for posting the tips. :)