List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] TIP! Compiling KDE2.2 Hints and Tips
From:       akar <akar () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-09-24 3:28:59

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 03:40, Jason Boxman wrote:
> It's also important to note that you'll need a very recent copy of
> "binutils" and "binutils-dev" to compile objprelink.c above.  I know Debian
> Woody now has such a binutils.  I don't know about other distros.  But keep
> that in mind.

The versions with RH7.x LM8 etc are OK, but the main reason for this is so
that you have headers that match the lib files. If you just build objrelink
statically (as per the current instructions) you should be OK. On a lot of
distros the headers for libbfd that came in the dev package did not match the
.so libs in the normal package.

> -O3 is a bit slower than -O2 since it does extra optimizations.  If you've
> got a slow box (like me, K6 III 400) you might want to forgo -O3 and use
> regular -O2.

It is a bit slower to compile and requires more memory but compiling is a
one-off operation and the speed benefits are permanent.

> You really only need delete the config.cache.  I think removing the status
> file is just superfluous.

To true!! But I didn't want any any people discovering "Just click
config-status to recompile with your set configuration" and then finding that
this doesn't pick up any changes they have made as it also serves part of the
function of caching more than just your configure switches :-)

--
Regards,
Andrew