List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]Re: Spelling and grammar corrections
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-25 16:47:09

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:23:41 +0100, Malcolm Hunter wrote:

>> I'm certainly stating the obvious: there are quite a few acronyms which
>> are spelled totally inconsistent. People apparently can not even agree
>> on how to spell standard KDE apps (Kdm, KDM, kdm ...). I'd be glad if
>> the proof-reading team could change this situation some time.
>
>I'm currently building up a list of words that need to be made consistent, so
>far I've come across these:
>
>Application names! eg KMidi KSpread

I'd presume that most apps are spelled in several ways across
desktop.po, documentation, cross-references from other apps etc.

>Sidebar         (Side Panel?)

I'd prefer Side Panel (in the German translation I used something like
"navigation area"). I don't see how this can be called a "bar" (at
least not in the same way as "tool bar" or "status bar").

>folder => directory

I like directory better, too. But I'd vote for "folder", nevertheless:
shorter, more consistent with the icons, and already used by the main
graphic environments.

>I think it would be best to wait till the next release as it will hit the
>translation stats quite heavily.

Sure (ie: shortly after the upcoming release and quite some time before
the next one).

Regards,

Thomas

---