List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Bug Report or Bugreport
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-30 14:52:45

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:25:04 +0200, Eric Bischoff wrote:

>The question is: do we start a separate team for this, or do we
>extend the tasks of the English team beyond the doc area? The advantage of a
>single team would be that it would enfore linguistic consistency between the
>applications and the docs.

Well, we have something like 22,000+ strings in the GUI files
(continuously changing and growing) and I don't know how many thousand
doc pages. Proofreading all of this is clearly not a task anybody can
do as a side job. And discussing the many issues of style and
consistency shouldn't jam up the doc or translation lists I guess.

Also translators and users need a clearly defined contact for reporting
mistakes they find -- persons in charge, mailing list, web pages,
mission statement. Reporting eg spelling mistakes in a menu to the
documentation team as a whole wouldn't be what I'd call "clearly
defined".

>What has Lauri to say?

Can't speak for her, of course. But last time we talked about dedicated
proofreaders she sounded positive to me.

Regards,

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/