List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: How to test desktop.mo in KDE2 without committing to CVS
From:       Hans Petter Bieker <bieker () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2000-03-28 18:44:17

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Sivakumar Shanmugasundaram wrote:

> Latin1..UTF-8) and commit. When the KDE apps use the
> .mo files, it converts it back into Latin1 for
> display, right? So theoretically speaking, when I use
> a TSCII
> font to display these apps, I will be able to see my
> original encoding, right? Please let me know if there

This only will work if a)the TSCII font is installed as "ISO
8859-1", b) have choosen to use ISO 8859-1 fonts, c) you are
actually using that font. Note that you translation dir has a file called
"charset" which contains the string "TSCII". That means KDE will try to
read the your with a qtextcodec which is able to read that format. If you
don't have such an textcodec it will read it as utf-8 and you will get
garbage on your screen.

It's okay to test your translations that way, but I think we should add
the qtextcodec I wrote to Qt or somewhere in KDE. Unfortantly Qt does not
support composed unicode so you will have to use TSCII fonts to display
it.

Anyway.. just go on translating KDE. We can take care of the conversion
later! kdelibs, desktop.po and kdebase is the most important
package. Complete them before starting on the rest.

BTW: Do you know where I can get some bdf fonts for the TSCII charset?

-bieker-

Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Engineering Cybernetics
                 bieker@stud.ntnu.no / bieker@kde.org