List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translation Methods comparsion
From:       "Federico Leva (Nemo)" <nemowiki () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-01 13:51:11

Leon Feng, 01/04/2013 14:10:
>> Who: someone in translatewiki.net staff. How often: you decide, usually
>> every week or so; MediaWiki is updated every day because localisation
>> updates go live on Wikimedia projects within 24/48 hours (Raymond, the
>> maintainer, says it takes about 15 min per export of all the ~300
>> languages).
>
> Right now MediaWiki has 2,878 messages. KDE has: 209590 messages. So
> the message size is 100 times larger.
> Could you give us a estimation of how long will it take based on your
> experience?

Actually, 22 677 as of now.
<https://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%3ALanguageStats&x=D&language=fi#sortable:1=desc>
So it's only one order of magnitude less, but with a order of magnitude
more locales if http://i18n.kde.org/teams-list.php is correct; so
probably the difference is not that big.
Needed time also depends on the model you choose for conflicts, I guess.
Niklas, Siebrand or Raimond would need to reply on this point, I don't
have direct experience of exporting.

> As discussed before, we could/would not stop using lokalize because it
> is much more efficient than translatewiki.

Using TWN doesn't mean necessarily using its web translator: as I
already pointed out, you can both translate offline and use TWN, as long
as you export/import PO files from it. To integrate better with the wiki
flow (assuming one wants), one should translate only recently exported
PO files and upload them to TWN frequently.
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Off-line_translation>

> Message merge is exactly the maintainance burden I said before.

Not particularly big if TWN is used properly. Sure, if we onboarded
language teams with big disagreements on what tools to use then it would
be a big mess. But if everyone in a team uses the wiki, no burden
exists; if someone translates offline via TWN without keeping PO files
stuck for long times, risks are still low; if someone still commits
directly to VCS; then things require more care and the team needs to
decide how to handle conflicts.

> 1. import this empty message to translatewiki:
> #: ..\..\..\abc.cpp:100
> msgid "Editing post"
> msgstr ""
>
> 2. Message translate and export to:
> #: ..\..\..\admin\b2edit.php:100
> msgid "Editing post"
> msgstr "Edition d'un article"
>
> 3. When submit translated po, the file in the svn repo changed to:
> #: ..\..\..\admin\b2edit.php:99
> msgid "Editing post"
> msgstr "Edition d'un article"
>
> Note only the line number changes, but it is actually a merge conflict
> svn itself can not handle.
>
> Right now in zh_CN team we use the powerful lokalize to handle this issue.
> Do you have a existing method to automate this task?

Translates adds its own identifier, msgctxt, so – when you upload the PO
to it – it doesn't care at all that line number changed. Such conflicts
are not even noticed. Of course if the translator used the online tool
the problem wouldn't exist at all.

Nemo