List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translation Methods comparsion
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2013-04-01 13:25:49

> [: Luigi Toscano :]
> Please note that this problem must be solved before the first automated
> commit starts to appear, or it would lead to troubles (I suspect starting
> with the suspension of the accounts used for it).

I think this problem is not that hard to solve, at least conceptually.

In the VCS workflow, it goes like this. For a given language, there are some
translators with commit access and some translators without commit access.
Then, a translator without commit access sends any updates to a translator
with commit access, who does some checks and commits. The translator who
committed takes full responsibility for that commit, in eyes of the KDE
sysadmins or of the public.

The commit-from-wiki approach should work analogously. A translator's
account on the wiki should also have the setting whether that translator has
KDE commit access. Then, the translator who does have commit access can
select a number of "PO files" (or of whatever units into which the wiki
groups messages), and click on the button "Commit". A warning would pop up,
reminding of the responsibility attached, and require confirmation click.
This is both simple (two button clicks) and responsibility-wise same as the
VCS workflow.

I'm only unsure of how the private SSH key would be handled: it is necessary
that noone but the translator with commit access can commit. Maybe it would
be fine if the private key is uploaded to translator's account, and then the
passphrase is requested in that commit confirmation dialog? At any rate,
wiki admins cannot commit for all languages, as that would break the
responsibility chain.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)