List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating KDE with Translatewiki
From:       Myriam Schweingruber <myriam () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-03-17 13:12:45

Hi everyone,

Could we please all calm down? This discussion should be constructive
and so far it doesn't seem so, let me resume:

we have one mailing list that is about translations and it is this one.

I have been searching the archives and didn't find any indications
that there ever was a discussion on the translators list about
Translatewiki at all, if I did miss it, could somebody please point me
to the archives?

[professional translator hat on]

While I do not translate KDE, I am nonetheless a professional
translator for pharmaceutical and medical texts and I heavily rely on
a good translation memory for terminology. I believe translating
software is not different.

I also contribute heavily to the 3 KDE wikis writing documentation and
I have tried to look at how translations are managed, what I really
miss is the possibility to use of the existing translation memories,
which for me would be a total no-go when it comes to translate
something that already has translation memory. It is duplicate work
and not very productive. We all invest our free time into this and
translation memories are THE tool to avoid duplicate work and spare
considerable time.

[hat off]

So if there has been a discussion about the use of something else than
the existing translation tools, where was it? Apparently not on this
list, so no wonder there seems to be some heat boiling up.

Can we please all take a deep breath and try to work together and take
the translation discussions to this list and this list only so all
translators are in the loop?

It serves nobody to camp on their positions, somewhere there was an
error in the choice of the communication means so let's take
everything in here and see what we can do so that KDE has optimal
translations with a minimum of time wasted.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org