List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Essential packages for HE
From:       Diego Iastrubni <elcuco () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-02-25 19:54:49

On שבת 25 פברואר 2012 17:26:50 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > 1) yes. As even if we have a terminal that "reverses" the hebrew display,
> > the direction of the paragraph will be wrong.
> >
> > 2) "pure" console, (/dev/tty[0,1,2,3..]) have no BiDI support. At all.
> >
> > 3) As hebrew is a very minority on the net - I would prefear if user will
> > be able to send the output of some package to the net. If the user sees
> > the Hebrew "correctly" - this means that the terminal swapped the Hebrew
> > display. So... he canno search at all.
>
> To be honest i don't see the difference between a text editor and a
> terminal, if anything the text editor should be more difficult than the
> terminal.
The biggest problem is that text based application control the text cursor
wronlgly in those cases.

Think of it: if you app spits ABCD, you press home and then "right arrow",
your application text cursor will be on the 2nd column. If your terminal
changes the display (as konsole does now) the cursor might now change (right
arrow in RLT -> prev char).

Now if you are in insert mode, and type D, what will happen is that the the
send char from the left will be changed visually, but since the string was
written "backwards" you will see that C was deleted, and when the whole word
is repainted, you will see the correct term.

There are even more problems, for example in Arabic which the glyph printed on
screen is not the same you have on the text file (and RTL). Thai is another
crazy script.

In short - what you see is not what you get in those cases, since there is
another display middle-ware that changes the text. In GUI you don't have this
- since you control the excat position of the cursor. In QTextDocument you
have QTextCursor exacltly because of that problem.

> Anyway if you think some thing can't or does not have to be translated,
> don't do it, just copy the original and put a proper comment on the
> translation as of why you did that.
That's a ugly workarround, but it seems logical.

I still would like to know what other teams are doing in this case.