List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Essential packages for HE
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-02-25 15:26:50

El Dissabte, 25 de febrer de 2012, a les 17:12:21, Diego Iastrubni va
escriure:
> On שבת 25 פברואר 2012 16:52:34 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > The essential packages for the Hebrew team are again 100%. I would
> > > like
> > > for Hebrew to be added again in KDE 4.8.1.
> >
> > Added, also added Uyghur that was not released with .0 and now meets
> > essentials too.
>
> Yay :)
>
> > > Mayne of KDE-runtime apps are console utilities. I do have a policy
> > > of
> > > not- translating them, as Hebrew (I would dare to say anything not
> > > latin1, specially complex layout language) does not play well in
> > > console.
> >
> > I disagree with you here, if there is a problem with your terminal
> > outputing hebrew characters it has to be fixed, but i don't see what is
> > the problem translating text that will end up in a console.
> > Or is the problem actually inputing or mixing RTL with LTR in the same
> > line?
>
> 1) yes. As even if we have a terminal that "reverses" the hebrew display,
> the direction of the paragraph will be wrong.
>
> 2) "pure" console, (/dev/tty[0,1,2,3..]) have no BiDI support. At all.
>
> 3) As hebrew is a very minority on the net - I would prefear if user will be
> able to send the output of some package to the net. If the user sees the
> Hebrew "correctly" - this means that the terminal swapped the Hebrew
> display. So... he canno search at all.

To be honest i don't see the difference between a text editor and a terminal,
if anything the text editor should be more difficult than the terminal.

Anyway if you think some thing can't or does not have to be translated, don't
do it, just copy the original and put a proper comment on the translation as
of why you did that.

Abert