List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Holiday data files
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-31 7:37:43

On Sunday 30 May 2010 13:30:11 you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been meaning to submit an updated version of the French holidays
> data file and your post on the KDE i18n-doc mailing list provided the
> perfect opportunity. So here's the file in question with a few
> observations :

Brilliant, many thanks!

> 2010/5/29 John Layt <johnlayt@googlemail.com>:
> > New features:
> > * Proper support for regions like States and Provinces
>
> This is of interest to the various French departments and territories.

Any territories that have a top-level ISO code already supported by KDE we can
create separate files for immediately.  Any territories that only have a
second level ISO code will have to wait for 4.6 when we can include
translations for their names.

The good news is all the following qualify, so I've added them, if you could
just check them:

* Guyane  				GF
* Guadeloupe  			GP
* Martinique  			MQ
* Nouvelle-Calédonie  	NC
* Polynésie française  	PF
* La Réunion  			RE
* Wallis-et-Futuna  	WF
* Mayotte  				YT

Hmmm, a few spots there I wouldn't mind living in :-)

I've switched the seasons around for the southern hemisphere territories, but
I'm not sure if the Caribbean ones are entirely appropriate.

So in 4.6 that will just leave Moselle and Alsace to have separate files
created.

Also, I think the l10n files (found at
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/runtime/l10n/) need checking for these
territories, some were not even being installed and so the names were not
translating (which I've fixed), and appear to be using the default US settings
for most things rather than the French style settings, e.g. decimal place as a
"." rather than a ",".  Should they all just use exactly the same settings as
France?

> - French "Mothers' day" is held on the last Sunday of May except
> when it conflicts with "Pentecôte".
> - Mayotte has another holiday : "Eid al-Adha" (Aïd el-Kebir in
> French). It's celebrated annually on the 10th day of the month of Dhul
> Hijja of the lunar Islamic calendar (Wikipedia be praised)
>
> Good luck implementing those ;-)

Easy :-)  Well, the Mothers Day formula is a bit uglier than it should be, but
it works.  The only real problem is we only have the Islamic Civil calendar,
not the Lunar, so the date calculated may sometimes be out by 1 day, but
that's close enough for now, the Islamic world is very used to that.

Just wanting to check, do you have substitute holidays when a holiday falls on
a weekend, e.g. if New Years falls on a Sunday do you get the Monday off?

Cheers!

John.