List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Holiday data files
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-29 11:29:54

Hi,

In SC 4.5 I've made some changes to the KHolidays library, adding new
features, and cleaning up the existing data files and tagging them with
language codes and other metadata (available from svn now or packages from
beta 2 onwards).

New features:
* Support for defining holidays with non-Gregorian calendars, such as Hebrew
and Hijri (civil not lunar).
* Proper support for regions like States and Provinces
* Support for more complex calculations, including substitute days and a noop

For example, I have now been able to add new holiday files for Iran and
Israel, but they are just a cut-and-paste from the English Wikipedia so I
could be making horrible mistakes.

That's where you guys come in :-)

1) Have a look at all the holiday files for your country and/or language at

     http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdepimlibs/kholidays/holidays/plan2/

2) Find a reliable source, preferably the official government one, for your
holiday rules and add this to the file.  If you could find an accurate English
version as well would help me (Wikipedia should do, if not just watch out for
sites with restrictive licences)

3) Check that the holidays listed are still correct.  If running from svn,
then try using the plasma calendar or KOrganizer to check that the holidays
displayed are correct for the next 5 years.

4) Check that my initial sort into categories is correct in preparation for
this feature in SC 4.6.

5) Add comment lines with translations into en_US for every holiday name to
make maintenance easier for me :-)

If you hit any problems, such as holidays with complex rules you can't figure
out, let me know and I'll find a solution.

If you think having an English version of your holiday file available to users
would be useful, let me know and I'll add it.

If your country/language isn't currently included, please send me the details.
For example, we have a Thailand file but only in English, not Thai.

Cheers!

John.