List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Autogenerating docbooks
From:       Marek Laane <bald () smail ! ee>
Date:       2010-02-25 23:10:14

reede, 26. veebruar 2010 00:18:49 kirjutas Burkhard Lück:
> Am Donnerstag, 25. Februar 2010 22:51:56 schrieb Marek Laane:
> > Sad... I can understand splitting is for minimizing workload both of
> >
> >  writers and of translators as huge texts are hard to maintain.
>
> Me does not agree.
> I prefer to have one docbook for maintaining documentation and translation,
> except for really really huge docs.
>
> Eg the okteta documentation is splitted into 5 or 6 docbooks, some of them
> less than 1000 byte. That is nonsense and I'll change that with the next
> backport in branch and merge all into one docbook.
>
> >  For same
> >  reason I could easily imagine that in these huge manuals are some
> >  chapters more important than others and therefore some not so important
> >  (or important only for "advanced" users) may be let untranslatable, at
> >  least for a while...
>
> There are very few (I assume less than five in whole kde) cases where it
> makes sense to have a really hugh documentation only partly translated.
> One example is digikam, which has only around five up to date translations.
> But this number could be easily doubled if color-management.docbook could
> stay untranslated.
> The color-management.docbook has a lot of really good technical background
> information about this topic (and is hard to translate properly), but I'd
> say it is not necessary for Joe User working with Digikam.

Well, yes, I agree with both your positions :-) Too many too little docbooks
are really a bit nuicanse and yes, I meant exactly quite a few manuals where
there may be reasonable to let some chapters untranslated at least for a while
(I provided as example kate-advanced because it is a part of KDE SC but, of
course, in extragear there are more examples, digikam, krusader, kmymoney
being the first ones I remember)