List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Places names in kfile dialog untranslated?
From:       "Sergiu Bivol" <sergiu-bivol () mail ! md>
Date:       2008-12-11 17:19:30

În data de Jo, 11-12-2008 la 00:22 +0100, Albert Astals Cid a scris:
> A Dimecres 10 Desembre 2008, Burkhard Lück va escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > in the german team we noticed that in recent trunk the names of the Places
> > ("Home", "Network", "Root", Trash") in the kfile dialog are untranslated,
> > this was ok in 4.1.
> >
> > Can anyone please check this with an another language?
>
> Ok, dugg more on it, it's not a bug but a feature :D
>
> Places names can be edited, so they are stored and later restored, except the
> first time that they are created. If you ran kde untranslated they will never
> ever again appear translated, remove
> .kde/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml to "clear" it.
>
> I can see how this sucks when changing languages et al, but i can't see how to
> fix it keeping the feature of being able to edit them.
>
> Albert

I would rather like Home, Root, Network and Trash to be translated
elsewhere and be non-editable (not „bookmarks" I mean). Let the
Bookmarks be user-definable and editable, as we are used with the web
browsers. In my opinion, those are system locations, not user-defined bookmarks.

Even if there is a good reason to make them editable, I doubt it is more
important than having these items translated - they are some of the most
visible parts of the desktop.

Sergiu