List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Places names in kfile dialog untranslated?
From:       Thomas Reitelbach <tr () erdfunkstelle ! de>
Date:       2008-12-11 18:23:13

Am Donnerstag, 11. Dezember 2008 00:22:22 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> A Dimecres 10 Desembre 2008, Burkhard Lück va escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > in the german team we noticed that in recent trunk the names of the
> > Places ("Home", "Network", "Root", Trash") in the kfile dialog are
> > untranslated, this was ok in 4.1.
> >
> > Can anyone please check this with an another language?
>
> Ok, dugg more on it, it's not a bug but a feature :D
>
> Places names can be edited, so they are stored and later restored, except
> the first time that they are created. If you ran kde untranslated they will
> never ever again appear translated, remove
> .kde/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml to "clear" it.
>
> I can see how this sucks when changing languages et al, but i can't see how
> to fix it keeping the feature of being able to edit them.

This is not a very useful feature.
It will make it impossible to use KDE with different languages, say in a kiosk
situation. I juste changed the language from german to US-English, but the
location-names stay german, while the rest of the desktop is displayed in
english :(

I really believe this should be treated as a bug, not a feature. Or at least a
„buggy feature" ;-)

Cheers
Thomas