List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Name of Control Center in KDE 4
From:       Yukiko Bando <ybando () k6 ! dion ! ne ! jp>
Date:       2007-10-14 22:15:16

David Jarvie wrote:
> [ Forwarded from kde-devel list ]
>
> On Monday 08 October 2007 23:43:39 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Monday 08 October 2007, David Jarvie wrote:
> > > For user-visible strings, should we use "System Settings" in KDE 4
> > > where "Control Center" was used in KDE 3?
> >
> > It appears so; that's the title of the window as well as the name of
> > binary. this is probably a question for the documentation team, of course,
> > but the settings shell application is called "System Settings" ...
> >
> > as for system implying there are no user settings doesn't hold, imho, as to
> > the user the whole environment is their "system".
>
> Could someone on this list please confirm whether System Settings is the
> correct term for the old Control Center, for use in the user interface.

I think I'll be in trouble with the new name... I don't know how to differentiate
"System Settings (application)" and "system settings (generic)" in Japanese.
Unlike Latin alphabets Japanese characters can not be capitalized and I can
not think of any alternative word for the "setting". In fact we use a same
translation for settings, configure/configurations and preferences.

I prefer KDE Control Center which can not be mistaken for something else.

Yukiko