List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Name of Control Center in KDE 4
From:       Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-10-14 22:18:31

On Freitag, 12. Oktober 2007, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 October 2007 18:04:46 adam wrote:
> > My first include to this list so excuse if my input is not to the point.
> >
> > Suggestion:
> >
> > Why don't you call it Cockpit or Nukleus or something.
> >
> > Usability is fine, but a good name goes a long way to being remembered by
> > experts and newbies alike.
>
> The problem is some people (actually.. I've seen a lot but i'm only one
> person) have trouble *finding* the system settings because they have no
> idea what it is called.  Theyre used to Control Panel in Windows and first
> look for something that says control.

The German translation for the Windows Control Panel is Systemsteuerung, i.e.
System Control. SuSE once had their YaST modules integrated into kcontrol,
not sure why they removed it, but at those times kcontrol was the one place
for settings.

Currently SuSE calls kcontrol "Desktop-Einstellungen" whcih translates to
desktop-settings, in addition (2nd line) kickoff shows "Kontrollzentrum",
i.e. control centre. Both of them get around the "system" issue.

YaST, i.e. the tool that is relevant for system-wide settings only, is
called "Systemeinstellungen", i.e. system-settings.

Since those terms, at least for 10.2, were not the same terms the original KDE
translation uses, they might have put some usability thoughts into it, but I
am not sure about that.

I am not sure why distros do not do so, but there should definitely only be
one place for settings. There one can group them into system-, desktop- and
personal-settings, some of them being in the middle of at least two of those
categories.

So how could KDE encourage distros to use its settings tool for their tools?
Even if it is only a link that starts e.g. YaST, it would be one central
place to look for settings and not having to discuss about the perception of
system by the users.

Sven