List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE]
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2006-07-16 10:35:13

I am catching up on the thread as I have been on vacation, so I will
aggregate all issues in one mail.

Here is my point of view, as Polish KDE translation coordinator (I am
also a member of Polish Ubuntu translators, so I have the insight of
Ubuntu side).

Current state of Rosetta is really bad:
1. It causes loss of work if file is translated in Rosetta and
translation not merged into KDE.
2. It discourages translators if they translate in Rosetta file which
has already been translated and their translation is dumped.
3. Rosetta does not handle KDE plurals correctly, so Ubuntu contains
broken translations which cannot be fixed.
4. It causes additional work for translation coordinator to maintain
another source of translations.
5. Translations done in Rosetta are of low quality. Good translations
can be broken using Rosetta.

And what can be done:
- There should be only one source of main KDE translations and it is KDE
SVN repository. As a coordinator, I do not want to track all
distributions and merge changes into main KDE repository. This is
firstly a lot of work, secondly translations done this way are not
consistent with other translations in terms of vocabulary, quality, etc.
The direction of flow of translations should be from official KDE l10n
team to distributions. It has also the advantage that everyone benefits
from changed translations.
- Translations of main KDE components should be locked in Rosetta to
prevent spoiling translations by some random translator. Bugs in
translations go to KDE l10n teams, not to Ubuntu team.
- If you however decide to not lock translations in Rosetta, please add
big red banner in Rosetta saying: "This is not official translation and
it will be lost with next version of KDE, official translation team is
at <link>". Please also change text in "About translation" dialog box to
not point to KDE l10n team.
- Changes specific to Ubuntu should be split into separate files and
these files can be translated using Rosetta (like Suse which has .po
file for its changes in Kwin, etc.). This way changes specific to Ubuntu
are not mixed with generic KDE strings.
- Some teams (especially small) raise the issue that they could use any
help with translation, even with Rosetta and that web-based interface is
easier. If they want to use it, please allow them to register product
for this translations team in Launchpad or enable KDE translation in
Rosetta. But this should be opt-in.

My 2c :)

	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish KDE translation coordinator)