List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE]
From:       Jonathan Riddell <jriddell () ubuntu ! com>
Date:       2006-07-11 20:10:53

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 08:14:55PM +0200, Vedran Ljubovic wrote:
> The thing is, Canonical (makers of Ubuntu) don't care the least bit about
> that! They are working to improve their distro and don't care what happens to
> other distros / upstream.

We care very much about upstream.

> Say, for example, that there was one string that your team translated between
> KDE 3.5.2 and 3.5.3. If Ubuntu used kde.org translations like every other
> distro, that string would be untranslated because they have a slightly older
> version of KDE. But in this way the string could be translated by a naive
> Rosetta user and so Ubuntu has better translations than everyone
> else.

Sounds like a good thing to me.

And since the people who use Rosetta are not the sort of people who
can easily use KDE SVN there's no loss to KDE there.

> They
> don't care that the string will be lost as soon as they update KDE - they
> always have translations at least as good as upstream.

You are free and infact encouraged to take translations from Rosetta
and import them into KDE.

> So Canonical is consciously sacrificing hours of translation work for a
> minuscule benefit of their proprietary distro. Nothing new...

Kubuntu and Ubuntu are not in the slightest proprierty except for evil
nvidia drivers.

> (Yes, our team was harmed by Rosetta as well)

Could you give some details of this?

Jonathan