List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE]
From:       Kim Enkovaara <embo () mpoli ! fi>
Date:       2006-07-11 20:43:37

Hi,

> Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> Wrote:
> We care very much about upstream.

It's not my impression either that you care a bit about upstream. My
impression is more like "screw the upstream, we want to play in our own
playground". At least Rosetta should have big flashing red warnings that
all the translations will be lost if the translator does not send it to
the upstream.

>> They
>> don't care that the string will be lost as soon as they update KDE - they
>> always have translations at least as good as upstream.
>
> You are free and infact encouraged to take translations from Rosetta
> and import them into KDE.

It should be the resoponsibility of Rosetta to push translations to the
upstream (through the real translation teams). Not responsibility of the
upstream to chase all million different distros if they have their own
proprietary tools. Currently it might be only Rosetta, but what if other
distros would use same kind of tools. Everything would be a huge mess,
different distro users translating same things many times over, forked
translations, big problems to upstream trying to merge the whole mess etc.

In my opinion Rosetta does not understand the translation process. It's
not about one distro that is the center of the world and everyone should
pull from there, it's about all platforms equally.

--Kim