List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE
From:       Rinse de Vries <rinsedevries () kde ! nl>
Date:       2006-05-30 23:26:53

Op zondag 28 mei 2006 01:05, schreef Thomas Diehl:
> Judging from a posting of to the German list for Ubuntu
> translators it's even worse: They have no idea of who is
> changing what, find it difficult to test their translations in
> the actual programs, don't see the source code, not mentioning
> context info. So this posting suggests to drop Rosetta entirely
> for Ubuntu translation and use gtranslator or emacs instead like
> their Dutch team already did (as it says).

I contacted the Dutch Gnome-team earlier about how they handle rosetta.
Currently, whatever comes from rosetta goes to /dev/null as far as the Gnome
team is concerned.
Their complaints are:
1 - they don't receive updated translations from rosetta
2 - rosetta contains outdated po-files, which encourages duplication of
translation effort (i noticed the same while looking at the Dutch kde files
in rosetta, lots of them are outdated and appear partially translated, while
they are complete in kde's svn)
3 - translations found in rosetta are of such a poor quality that it is no use
checking and correcting them..

Rosetta reminds me a bit of IRMA. When IRMA started, Linspire promised to send
the translated files upstream to the corresponding translation teams.
Until now, i have not seen any of it.
IRMA also encourages duplication efforts, last year i spoke to a guy who had
occasionally translated some strings in IRMA, who proud told me that he
completed the translations of kde-applications like ktouch and kstars.
This came as a suprice to me, because all applications in kde-modules have
been fully translated into Dutch for several years..

Unless things improve, i'm affraid the same will happen with Rosetta: people
will start translation applications that are already translated, and we will
get different qualities of kde-translations on different linux distributions.

Regards, Rinse