List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re[2]: looking for a translation service for a gettext project
From:       <renato () translator-shop !
Date:       2006-05-31 6:51:01

Hello Gudmund,

Great that someone else here is using DV. Thanks for additional
comments and some new hints! I wrote some of them in my initial reply,
but deleted them before posting, cos post was already too long, and I
was afraid I would become too technical.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 4:54:28 PM, you wrote:

>> I know translators look like "spoiled brats", but it is not their job
>>  to know programming. You can prepare the PO file, and send it to
>> them as word doc file.

> I wouldn't do that - context, comments etc.!

Oh no, of course not! I didn't mean like deleting or something.
Trados uses special (MS Word) tags that enable protection of certain
parts of text. Once they are marked as protected, they are not
accesible to any kind of editing. And they are visible.
Will write full tutorilia soon. I gotta make scrshots...

> Have you notified Atril about this bug? They used to be receptive -
> that's why they support po and pot files.

Not yet. Trying to solve the problem, and most importantly, I have
borrowed licence (from a friend), and I don't think they will look
kindly to this policy. Gotta go through him :/
I took it just to see what it looks like. Sadly, I like it, but, even
more sadly I cannot afford it at the moment. I am looking for a
sponsor, like "you get me this and I will give you a discount on
translations".

I am glad that you agree on my idea for trying to talk with them and
see if they would agree on some limited usage/edition. I do not see
why we could come to some agreement. They created support for
translation of free apps, not comercial ones.

Maybe some kind of agreement like:
"We give right to use our CAT to KDE i18n crew, and they are not to
distribute it to anybody else but to their localization teams. This
edition of DV will have such-and-such code that can be used only for
KDE, and will prevent commercial usage for other apps."

Or simply, PO-only free edition. It will not ruin them financialy, and
will most certanly improve their popularity.

Maybe here's an idea? How about we (KDE i18n admins) ask Atril about
that? With suggestion that this could end up with portability of Atril
on Linux? (note: I am not familiar with MSJet DB engine)(or Atril's
willing to change thir engine)

It's a pitty Kbabel has stuck. I wish I am any good as programmer. How
about if we (translators) cry and moan realy loudly, till some
devilishly good programmer shows pitty and devilishly pimps-up Kbabel?

sigh

--
Best regards,
 Renato