List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE
From:       Jonathan Riddell <jriddell () ubuntu ! com>
Date:       2006-05-28 0:32:15

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 05:32:07AM +0900, Yukiko Bando wrote:
> > > How do I explain a KDE translator that his work is already done from
> > > someone else skipping the team processes?
> >
> > I'm not sure what this is asking, the Ubuntu translation teams will
> > have their own processes (being young teams some of them may be less
> > mature than in KDE).  You can either ignore their work or take it back
> > as best suits you.
>
> I'm not the one who asked the question, but what if the translator is a
> Kubuntu user and working for the KDE team?  He or she should expect his
> or her translation to be included in the next release but might see
> someone else's instead.  Or is it officially announced that Kubuntu users
> should not work for the KDE translation team?

Personally I'd encourage them to work with the KDE translation team,
but many people will prefer the web interface offered by Rosetta.

> > > Don't get me wrong, but at the moment this looks more like a parallel
> > > community to me.
> >
> > It is.  Distributions have always had parallel development communities
> > than their upstreams.
>
> When it comes to translation, I'd say it is a waste of human resources
> since the original messages to translate are the same.  What if every
> major distribution offers the same kind of tool?

Linspire does, other distributions do it inhouse, the difference is
that with Ubuntu the results can be easily extracted.

>  I don't think it is an
> efficient way that ten translators work for ten different distributions
> without communicating with each other.

Sounds like a good idea to contact your equivalent ubuntu translation
team and ask them to ping you if there's significant KDE translations
in your language.

 https://launchpad.net/rosetta/groups/ubuntu-translators

> I'd like to suggest that you limit the use of Rosetta to distribution
> specific applications and encourage your translators to join the KDE team
> for KDE translation.

If a person is a KDE fan I do but if their main interest is having
all of the Ubuntu distros translated and they don't want to care
about 50 upstreams, which is a large number of contributors, they will use Rosetta.

> > > Another thing that I'm worried about is that they seem to be working
> > > on old files.
> >
> > Yes, the files are from the KDE 3.5.2 release.  Longer term there is
> > an idea to import into Rosetta from KDE's SVN directly.
>
> Will changes made in KDE SVN overwrite those in Rosetta then?  How do you
> resolve conflicts?

You'd need to ask the Rosetta developers, carlos and jordi on
freenode.

Jonathan