List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE
From:       Yukiko Bando <ybando () k6 ! dion ! ne ! jp>
Date:       2006-05-28 3:58:19

Hello,

Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> Personally I'd encourage them to work with the KDE translation team,
> but many people will prefer the web interface offered by Rosetta.

I don't understand why people prefer the web interface as I don't like it
myself.  Translators don't need to know _all_ about subversion.  As far as
I know, the simple two commands "svn co" and "svn up" will do. :)

> > > It is.  Distributions have always had parallel development
> > > communities than their upstreams.
> >
> > When it comes to translation, I'd say it is a waste of human
> > resources since the original messages to translate are the same.
> > What if every major distribution offers the same kind of tool?
>
> Linspire does, other distributions do it inhouse, the difference is
> that with Ubuntu the results can be easily extracted.

Unless some sort of modification is needed to integrate KDE into a
distribution, I suppose they shouldn't.  In my opinion, other changes,
corrections or improvements, should be made upstream or at least
committed upstream eventually so everyone can benefit from them if the
changes were made by volunteers.

> >  I don't think it is an
> > efficient way that ten translators work for ten different
> > distributions without communicating with each other.
>
> Sounds like a good idea to contact your equivalent ubuntu translation
> team and ask them to ping you if there's significant KDE translations
> in your language.
>
>  https://launchpad.net/rosetta/groups/ubuntu-translators

Fortunately, it appears no one is translating KDE files for Japanese
there.  It's much easier to work as a single team than to coordinate
among different groups, isn't it?  And please remember that the presence
of Ubuntu translation teams may undermine morale of translators of KDE
teams.  I'm afraid some teams may even lose or already have lost some of
their translators...  I really hope you will reconsider and change your
mind.

> > I'd like to suggest that you limit the use of Rosetta to distribution
> > specific applications and encourage your translators to join the KDE
> > team for KDE translation.
>
> If a person is a KDE fan I do but if their main interest is having
> all of the Ubuntu distros translated and they don't want to care
> about 50 upstreams, which is a large number of contributors, they will
> use Rosetta.

I suppose a translator who cares about an application will do a better job
than someone who just wants to get it done.

> > Will changes made in KDE SVN overwrite those in Rosetta then?  How do
> > you resolve conflicts?
>
> You'd need to ask the Rosetta developers, carlos and jordi on
> freenode.

I don't care unless changes in Rosetta will overwrite those in KDE SVN.
I'm not using Kubuntu.  Sorry.

Regards,
Yukiko