List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Plural handling
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2006-03-22 17:13:25

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 12:24, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> I got quite lengthy report from user with list of plural handling problems
> and indeed there are many of them. While looking at how to fix them I
> encountered two problems:
>
> 1) How to fix i18n() calls which have comment? As far as I can see, I have
> to choose - comment or plural handling.

Indeed for KDE3, you have to choose.

So you could use a translator hint before the i18n call, a normal C or C++
starting with:
//i18n:
or
/*i18n:

> 2) What to do about stuff coming from *.ui files? Some of them handle
> singular case in hackish way (for example with setSpecialValueText() in
> case of QSpinBox), but that's not the correct way of course.

I do not think that it is possible at all, as the uic compiler cannot handle
it.

> Btw, what's the status of trunk? We are switching to gettext plural
> handling there?

For KDE4, point 1 could be solved in theory, but we have no call for it yet.

trunk/l10n is still for unstable KDE3 stuff. First trunk has to be cleared
from KDE3 stuff before using it with KDE4. I had planned to start this
discussion after KOffice 1.5 is released. (However I might not have time,
unlike what I had planned.)

> regards,

Have a nice day!