List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Plural handling
From:       Hasso Tepper <hasso () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-23 4:35:17

Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 March 2006 12:24, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> > 1) How to fix i18n() calls which have comment? As far as I can see, I
> > have to choose - comment or plural handling.
>
> Indeed for KDE3, you have to choose.
>
> So you could use a translator hint before the i18n call, a normal C or
> C++ starting with:
> //i18n:
> or
>
> /*i18n:

But this will not be visible for translator in *.po file and which is even
more important - this will not be used as context info.

> > 2) What to do about stuff coming from *.ui files? Some of them handle
> > singular case in hackish way (for example with setSpecialValueText()
> > in case of QSpinBox), but that's not the correct way of course.
>
> I do not think that it is possible at all, as the uic compiler cannot
> handle it.

Our wishlist for Trolltech? ;)
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=114218369631259&w=2

Yes, I know Qt doesn't use even gettext actually, but it can be at least
somewhat friendly, so we can handle in similar way Qt tr() calls are
handled in KDE at the moment.

regards,

--
Hasso Tepper