List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Problems with KOffice docbooks
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2006-02-23 17:24:32

On Thursday 23 February 2006 17:43, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> I did the change in kspread :(  and probably other changes as well.

> It was a bug report and i thought that fixing the english version was at
> least better than leaving the typo.

Sigh! We really need an American English translation for KDE4.

> I don't unserstand how the translation process works and why all your work
> is lost because of a typo fix. If it is the case, maybe there are some
> things that must be improved in this process.

For documentation, the translation process is simple: it is all or nothing.

So either everything is translated and the documentation can be generated or
there is at least a message fuzzied or missing and the documentation cannot
be generated.

It is how the documenation programs and scripts of KDE were designed, as the
goal was correctly translated documentations (against English/translated
mixes).

Getting away from the current system will need some effort in one way or
another. (That is why I think that it is a KDE4 task, especially as it sums
up with other potentially wanted changes around documentation.)

> It's very messy as well for people like me who tries to do my best to get
> sane docs and have to deal with 3.5 doc unfreeze, trunk forward commits,
> koffice different schedule ....

Sure, it is not easy for anybody.

> I wish there was a good explanation of why you lose your whole work because
> of a single typo fix in English. So far, I don't get it.

You have "fuzzied" one message, therefore the documenation cannot be generated
anymore. So first the fuzzy of the translation must be fixed before the
documentation can be generated again.

I do not think that one occurence is the problem. The  problem is more that it
is not the only one and also the short time before the day when the release
should have been tagged (even if this was delayed in the meanwhile).

>"explicitely" or
> "explicitly" seems to apply only in English and if I take the French
> translation as an example,"explicitely" has  been correctly translated to
> "explicitement" and has not to be changed when "explicitly" is put instead.

Well, I cannot show you that it would become fuzzied, as there is no French
translation of that exact message. :-( (And British English has not the file
at all.)

> If it is marked fuzzy or whatever, then there should be a way to avoid
> that.

In theory, yes. In practise, nobody has written that script.

> What I'll remember is: doc freeze means no fixes at all in any docbook.
>
> Anne-Marie

Have a nice day!