List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Problems with KOffice docbooks
From:       "Erik K. Pedersen" <erik () binghamton ! edu>
Date:       2006-02-23 16:56:48

Torsdag den 23. februar 2006 17:43 skrev Anne-Marie Mahfouf:
> I did the change in kspread :(  and probably other changes as well.
> It was a bug report and i thought that fixing the english version was at
> least better than leaving the typo.
> I don't unserstand how the translation process works and why all your work
> is lost because of a typo fix. If it is the case, maybe there are some
> things that must be improved in this process.

It is not so bad. The translation process for docbooks works as follows. From
each docbook a pot-file is made which is essentially the docbook cut up in
small pieces. Then scripty merges already existing translations, and the
translators finish translating this pot-file producing a po-file.
A script called update_xml is then used to produce a translated docbook by
combining the English docbook and the po-file.
This only works if we have at least a short time where nobody touches the
docbooks because otherwise the docbook and the pot-file is out of synch. So
the problem basically is that in a short period before a release the docbooks
need to be frozen.
When mistakes happen is it not so terribly bad but the release does need to
get gelayed a bit ad it is happening.

Erik