List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Improving KDE with translators
From:       Gérard_Delafond <gerard () delafond ! org>
Date:       2004-08-19 17:40:09

Le jeudi 19 Août 2004 16:38, Erik K. Pedersen a écrit :
(...)

> You will then notice there are 99919 strings in kde and 53353 strings in
> the docs. It is clearly not humanly possible to find each and every one of
> them and check if it is being used correctly. Let us be generous and say it
> would take 10 seconds pr string. I will let you do the math. What you are
> saying corresponds to saying that no program should be released before it
> is bug free. You know perfectly well that no program would ever be released
> that way, and the same thing is true of translations.I get bug reports,
> mostly sent to me directly, and it has happened once or twice that it was
> something that really disturbed the meaning, but generally it was not that
> bad. The translations get tested in  use, just like the programs do.
>
> Erik
Well, I don't say a program should be released before it is bugfree.
But a program should nnever be released when there are some known bugs. That's
why I think KDE 3.3 will be out in a hurry. Nearly none of the nearly 50 bugs
I declared in 1 year has been fixed. Most of them are trivial.

Let's come back to the translation problems.
It is not so long to validate a translation : simply do everything the program
can do. A good way to do it is to translate screenshots in documentation (OK,
it depends on the program, some of them have no screenshot).

You can validate a program in a few minutes.

Of course, a REAL validation would be much more longer : find every string
present in the po, in the running program. I recognize I never found some of
them !

Once more, I don't state what can be done today. I am wondering what could be
done in an ideal world.

If your team is tiny, do only what you can. If you are numerous, validate
everything several times. I found some translations errors only after using
some programs for years !

Cheers

Gerard